Our children are one of the most important parts of our lives. We know that making decisions regarding the welfare of your children is especially difficult when you are separated from the other parent or do not agree with the other person(s) caring for the children. Often parents/carers will not be able to agree a way forward and this could result in hostility. You need expert advice on the best way to handle your family’s situation, we can provide this.
At F. Barnes our family department specialises in Children Law. Our team consists of solicitors with a wealth of experience in all manners of child related proceedings. Our main aim is to try and reach an agreement without the need of issuing Court proceedings; however this is unfortunately not always possible. If the matter needs to proceed to Court, our clients will take comfort in knowing that F. Barnes are well known at the local Family Courts as members of the department that regularly attends Court to represent our clients personally. This is not something many other firms do. The fact that we have a presence at the Courts will mean we have an in depth understanding of both sides which can assist in reaching an agreement.
We regularly assist parents (whether the biological parent or not), grandparents and others in disputes regarding the following:
Private Children Law (Against Individuals or Family Members)
- Child Arrangement Order for children to live with you (previously known as Residence and Shared Residence or custody)
- Child Arrangement Order to spend time with children (previously known as Contact or access)
- Parental Responsibility
- Prohibited Steps Orders (preventing another person from using their parental responsibility e.g. taking the child from a care giver)
- Specific Issue Orders (relates to particular problems i.e. changing/selecting schools, consenting/opposing medical treatment, children’s surnames, moving abroad etc)
- Special Guardianship Orders
- Wardship and Inherent Jurisdiction
Public Children Law (Involving Local Authorities and Social Workers)
- Care/Placement (Adoption) Proceedings
- Child Protection Issues and Legal Planning Meetings
- Contact with Children in Care
- Emergency Protection Orders
Our team has dealt with proceedings in a variety of Courts up and down the Country in all manners of hearing types .i.e. Dispute Resolution Hearings, Directions, Fact Findings, Interim Contested Hearings, Final Hearings and Appeals.
In some cases, time is of the essence and we need to act urgently. In such cases we are able to issue proceedings and be at Court within a few hours.
Since April 2014 the availability of Legal Aid has changed. There are limited cases when you can receive public funding, through either you or your children being the victims of domestic abuse. To see if you are eligible and can provide the supporting evidence needed please check here: https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/domestic-abuse-or-violence