Thank you for looking at our services for Employment Law. We regularly advise employees on Employment Tribunal claims, Settlement Agreements and all other aspects of employment disputes. Our clients include everyone from directors and senior executives through to entry-level workers.
As an employee, you have rights under the law that employers must respect. If you believe you have been unfairly dismissed from your job, getting the right legal advice as soon as possible is vital. This will allow you to get a clear picture of whether you have grounds for a claim and what compensation you may be entitled to.
Our employment solicitors offer straightforward friendly advice and practical support whilst guiding you through some of the difficult decisions affecting your career. Often the best approach is to talk to us before you talk to your employer so we can give you accurate advice to help you secure the most positive outcome available to you as quickly and simply as possible.
We aim to be completely transparent about our pricing, so you can be confident our fees are fair and you are getting good value for money.
Our expert solicitor has years of experience, and has almost certainly dealt with similar situations to the one you are facing many times. We will explore all the options available to you, helping you determine a course of action that fits your circumstances and personal priorities.
We know that value for money and overall costs really matter when pursuing an employment claim, so we will provide you with a range of estimates and keep you updated on costs at all times. This way, you can be confident we are handling matters for you in a cost effective and efficient way.
If you decide to make an employment tribunal claim, we can offer strong experience in handling Employment Tribunal proceedings and appeals. Ahmet Ozcan can provide the robust arguments, skilled judgment and lateral thinking needed to prepare your case and achieve the best available outcome.
Whether you wish to settle a claim or fight it at tribunal we will advise you on the best strategy for you and any additional fees involved.
We are proud to hold the Lexcel Accreditation issued by the Law Society. This involves the firm undergoing a rigorous audit process which ensures we maintain the highest levels of client care.
Our fees for bringing claims for unfair and wrongful dismissal are based on two bands, which we will be happy to discuss with you.
The first band covers legal advice and preparation of your case up to and including the issue of your claim (ET1) at the Tribunal.
The steps typically included within the first band would be:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Raising a grievance which sets out your potential claim to your employer and gives your employer an opportunity to resolve the issues
- If the matter cannot be resolved at this stage a grievance hearing is set and we will advise and prepare you for your grievance hearing. It is not normal for us to attend and costs for this are not included.
- If nothing is resolved at the grievance hearing, we will prepare your appeal and present the grounds to your employer
- We will advise and prepare you for the appeal hearing. It is not normal for us to attend and costs for this are not included.
- If nothing has been resolved, we would enter into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Finally, if appropriate we would prepare your claim, (ET1) and submit this to the Tribunal ( if the case is complex and requires counsel to be instructed to prepare the claim additional costs will be payable to counsel).
Simple Case Band 1 as above
- Range of Costs £1200 - £4000 (Excl VAT)
Why are our range of costs so broad?
Our range of costs reflect the different level of work involved in your case and are largely dependent upon:
- The volume of paperwork that requires reviewing and advising upon
- The length of time taken to negotiate at each stage
We will make an assessment and inform you of the relevant fees at the earliest opportunity.
If it has become necessary to issue your claim at the Tribunal then the level of work required on your matter can vary according to the individual circumstances. At this stage we would charge an hourly rate of £200 plus vat for the advice and preparation of your case.
The typical stages which would occur after the issue of the claim are:
- Reviewing and advising on the response from other party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- Preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party's witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
What is not included in our fees?
Disbursements or expenses are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Typical expenses that may be incurred when bringing a claim for unfair or wrongful dismissal are:
- Court Fees
- Counsel fees for either obtaining an opinion, preparing the ET1 if it is a complex case, attending a hearing
- Medical reports
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved.
If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 4-12weeks. If we are unable to settle prior to the issue of ET1 then your claim can take as little as 16 weeks to settle if the employer does not defend your claim or may last many months. Factors that affect the timescale are:
- The issues in the case
- How many preliminary hearings are scheduled
- The length of time set out in the directions of the tribunal
The above are just estimates and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
Sebastian joined F Barnes in June 2019 as a Trainee Solicitor having previously worked for Tees Law in Brentwood and Attwaters Jameson Hill in Harlow.
Sebastian completed his law degree at Brunel University in 2013 and is currently finishing his Legal Practice Course at BPP University Law School in Cambridge.
Sebastian’s previous experience includes Personal Injury work and more recently Dispute Resolution and Litigation, Debt Recovery and Contentious Probate matters.
Sebastian is also a fluent Polish speaker.
Sebastian specialises in:
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Debt Recovery
Sebastian is based at our Romford office and is supervised by Tiina Juhanson. His hourly rate is £195 plus vat.
Tiina is the both firm’s Managing Director and Head of the Family & Litigation Departments.
Having been with the firm for over 25 years she has built up a wealth of knowledge and experience in the area of Family Law. She prides herself on her friendly and direct approach and her aim is to get her clients to as speedy and trouble-free resolution to their problems as possible.
Tiina has a formidable reputation for acting in Family & Matrimonial matters, particularly in financial settlements. She regularly appears in Court on behalf of her clients and as a trained Mediator.
Tiina was one of the first solicitors in the area to gain Family Panel accreditation with the Law Society and to become an accredited specialist of the Solicitors Family Law Association (now known as Resolution). She regularly attends courses to ensure she is up to date with all developments within her field of expertise.
She has long-established relationships with members of the Courts and other professional bodies in the Essex and East London area and is also Secretary of the Havering Solicitors Group and a committee member, and former President, of the West Essex Law Society
Tiina is based at our Romford Branch. Her hourly rate is £300 plus vat.