Thank you for looking at our services for Employment Law. We regularly advise employers of all sizes across a wide range of industries on dealing with employment tribunal claims, early conciliation and other options for resolving employment disputes.
As an employer, you have a legal duty to provide a fair working environment that complies with all relevant legislation, while still needing to be able to manage your workforce effectively. If an employee has raised an issue or made a claim to an employment tribunal, it is essential to have the right expert advice to protect your business and reputation.
Our expert employment solicitor can guide you through each step of the process of dealing with an employment dispute, removing as much stress and uncertainty from the situation as possible. We can help you secure the best available outcome for your business as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible while minimising any negative impact on your commercial interests.
We aim to be completely transparent about our pricing, so you can be confident our fees are fair and you are getting good value for money.
Our expert solicitor has years of experience handling both straightforward and highly complex employment disputes at every level, from negotiation and early conciliation through to Employment Tribunal hearings and Employment Appeal Tribunals proceedings.
We appreciate that getting the right result is only one of the concerns when dealing with an employment dispute – protecting your reputation and making sure the matter is dealt with efficiently are often just as important. You need to protect the smooth running of your business and address any day to day employment issues you may be facing swiftly.
We therefore tailor our approach to your priorities, making sure we resolve your matter in way that works for you and your business working closely with your existing HR team.
Value for money and overall costs are important factors for any business, so we will provide you with a range of estimates and keep you updated on costs at all times. That way you can budget appropriately and be confident that we are handling your case cost-effectively.
Whether you wish to settle a claim or fight it at tribunal, we will provide an honest assessment of the situation and commercially-focused advice to make sure you are pursuing the best strategy for your business.
We are proud to hold the Lexcel Accreditation issued by the Law Society. This involves the firm undergoing a rigorous audit process which ensures we maintain the highest levels of client care.
Our fees for defending claims brought against your business for unfair and wrongful dismissal are based on two bands.
The first band covers legal advice and preparation of your case up the end of the pre-claim conciliation.
The steps typically included within the first band would be:
- Taking your initial instructions
- Reviewing the papers and advising you on the merits of the claim being brought against you and the likely compensation an Employment Tribunal might award if the claim is successful (this is likely to be re-visited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Enter into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached
- Responding to a grievance received from the employee which sets out their potential claim against you
- If the matter cannot be resolved at this stage a grievance hearing is set and we will advise and prepare you for the grievance hearing. It is not normal for us to attend and costs for this are not included.
- If nothing is resolved at the grievance hearing, and an appeal is received by the employee, we will advise and prepare you for the appeal hearing. It is not normal for us to attend and costs for this are not included.
Simple Case Band 1 as above
- Range of Costs £1200 - £3500 (Excl VAT)
Why are our range of costs so broad?
Our range of costs reflect the different level of work involved in your case and are largely dependent upon:
- The volume of paperwork that requires reviewing and advising upon
- The length of time taken to negotiate at each stage
We will make an assessment and inform you of the relevant fees at the earliest opportunity.
If we are unable to resolve the matter and the employee issues a claim at the Employment Tribunal then the level of work required on your matter can vary according to the individual circumstances. At this stage we would charge an hourly rate of £200 plus vat for the advice and preparation of your case.
The typical stages which would occur after the issue of the claim are:
- Preparing your response to the claim (ET3)
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party's witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
What is not included in our fees?
Disbursements or expenses are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Typical expenses that may be incurred when defending a claim for unfair or wrongful dismissal are:
- Court Fees
- Counsel fees for either obtaining an opinion, preparing the ET3 if it is a complex case, and attending a hearing
- Medical reports
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved.
If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 4-12weeks. If we are unable to settle prior to the issue of ET1 then defending your claim can take as little as 16 weeks to settle or may last many months.
Factors that affect the timescale are:
- The issues in the case
- How many preliminary hearings are scheduled
- The length of time set out in the directions of the tribunal
The above are just estimates and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progress
Sebastian joined F Barnes in June 2019 as a Trainee Solicitor having previously worked for Tees Law in Brentwood and Attwaters Jameson Hill in Harlow.
Sebastian completed his law degree at Brunel University in 2013 and is currently finishing his Legal Practice Course at BPP University Law School in Cambridge.
Sebastian’s previous experience includes Personal Injury work and more recently Dispute Resolution and Litigation, Debt Recovery and Contentious Probate matters.
Sebastian is also a fluent Polish speaker.
Sebastian specialises in:
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Debt Recovery
Sebastian is based at our Romford office and is supervised by Tiina Juhanson. His hourly rate is £195 plus vat.
Tiina is the both firm’s Managing Director and Head of the Family & Litigation Departments.
Having been with the firm for over 25 years she has built up a wealth of knowledge and experience in the area of Family Law. She prides herself on her friendly and direct approach and her aim is to get her clients to as speedy and trouble-free resolution to their problems as possible.
Tiina has a formidable reputation for acting in Family & Matrimonial matters, particularly in financial settlements. She regularly appears in Court on behalf of her clients and as a trained Mediator.
Tiina was one of the first solicitors in the area to gain Family Panel accreditation with the Law Society and to become an accredited specialist of the Solicitors Family Law Association (now known as Resolution). She regularly attends courses to ensure she is up to date with all developments within her field of expertise.
She has long-established relationships with members of the Courts and other professional bodies in the Essex and East London area and is also Secretary of the Havering Solicitors Group and a committee member, and former President, of the West Essex Law Society
Tiina is based at our Romford Branch. Her hourly rate is £300 plus vat.