Thank you for looking at our Debt Recovery services. Debts can arise in all walks of life and we regularly advise and assist businesses and individuals alike.
The bulk of our debt recovery instructions come from businesses across various sectors. With many years of experience and strong expertise in litigation both in and out of court, our debt recovery service is fast, efficient and economical.
We can act for you if your debt to be recovered is £10,000 or above.
We have an experienced solicitor, Ahmet Ozcan, who can assist you with recovering both disputed and undisputed debts. We pride ourselves on exceptional customer care skills enabling you to send out the right message and retain the goodwill of your customers whilst recovering outstanding payments.
We can offer you clear, practical advice and will discuss all the options available to establish the most appropriate way of dealing with debtors.
We are proud to hold Lexcel Accreditation, issued by the Law Society. This involves the firm undergoing a rigorous audit process which ensures we maintain high levels of client care.
We appreciate that the fees involved in debt recovery are important to you. We review our fees on a regular basis, considering client’s feedback, to ensure we continue to offer a cost-effective debt recovery service.
We typically work on an hourly rate basis. Our hourly rate is £200 plus vat.
We would estimate that in simple cases we would need to work between 3 – 6 hours on your case to complete and submit your claim. There are various factors that determine the amount of work involved which are:
- The amount of the claim
- Complexity of the claim
- The volume of documents in support of the claim
- If any searches are required (maybe necessary to locate the defendant or prepare a financial report to ascertain their capability to pay the debt before issue)
We would always review the financial viability of your case at the very outset and once the claim has been issued if the matter is defended.
When claiming costs from the debtor, it is important to note that although we will ask the debtor to pay your fixed costs it is not mandatory that these will be paid. You can claim interest and compensation and we will advise you of the applicable rates.
Court Fees payable on the issue of your claim
Fee Payable to Court
( Court issued Claim)
Fee Payable to Court
(Filed via Online)
£10,001 - £100,000
5% value of claim
4.5% value of claim
5% value of claim
5% value of claim
Greater than £200,000
General additional fees that may be payable to the court
The above table highlights the amount payable to the court on issue of a claim. There maybe other fees to be paid which vary whether the claim is defended/disputed or not. Examples of when additional fees are payable to the court are:
- list a hearing
- enforcement of judgement such as instruct a bailiff or warrant officer
Full details of the amount of fees that are to be paid can be found at:
What our fees do not include
There may be expenses that are payable to third parties other than the court if it is deemed necessary in your case. Typical examples are:
- Paying a tracing agent to locate the person owing you money
- Paying for searches on property to find out how we could enforce the recovery of the debt through the courts if they do not pay
We would advise you of the likely additional expenses at the earliest opportunity.
A typical undisputed debt recovery will take between 8 weeks to 12 weeks, from instruction through to payment from the other side. This may be quicker or longer depending on whether we are required to issue a claim and whether the other side pay promptly on receipt of any Judgment issued by a court. As detailed above, if enforcement action is required, we will discuss the fees and timescales involved.
With every transaction there are key milestones, which may vary according to individual circumstances. Typically the stages covered in matters which are undefended/undisputed will be as follows:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Issuing a letter before action requesting payment from the debtor
- Receiving payment and sending this on to you
- Drafting and issuing a claim form to the relevant court if the debt is not paid
- Applying to the court to enter a Judgment in Default if the debtor fails to respond to court proceedings
- Contacting the other side to request payment where a Judgment in Default has been issued by the court
Our Litigation Team
Ahmet Ozcan joined the Litigation Department at F Barnes in November 2017 having qualified as a solicitor in 2015.
Ahmet is a litigator who specialises in dispute resolution. Ahmet has experience in both bringing and defending claims in the County Court, the High Court and the Court of Appeal.
Ahmet deals with but not limited to; debt recovery, contractual disputes, professional negligence, inheritance claims as well as property disputes including trust issues. He also undertakes Employment Law
Ahmet has been responsible for his own case load from very early on in his career, and this has meant that he is very much hands on and client focused. Ahmet takes a commercial and pragmatic approach to support clients and he is strategic and practical, both in litigation and in negotiations in order to reach the best possible outcome for his clients.
Ahmet is based at our Romford office. His hourly rate is £200 plus vat
Examples of cases that Ahmet has successfully dealt with are as follows:
- A litigation matter where he represented a claimant company raising a breach of contract and unpaid invoices claim. Ahmet successfully obtained an unless order and a strike out due to non-compliance. The client was awarded damages in the excess of £40,000 and legal costs were paid by the defendant. During this claim he successfully defended an application to set aside the Judgment and was ordered 100% of the costs of the application.
- Assisted and represented defendants in a multimillion civil fraud claim, which also involved worldwide freezing injunctions. Included various interim applications for specific disclosure and unless orders
Tiina is the both firm’s Managing Director and Head of the Family & Litigation Departments.
Tiina supervises the Litigation department.
Having been with the firm for over 25 years she has built up a wealth of knowledge and experience in the area of Civil Litigation and Family Law. She prides herself on her friendly and direct approach and her aim is to get her clients to as speedy and trouble-free resolution to their problems as possible.
She has long-established relationships with members of the Courts and other professional bodies in the Essex and East London area and is also Secretary of the Havering Solicitors Group and a committee member, and former President, of the West Essex Law Society
Tiina is based at our Romford office. Her hourly rate is £250 plus vat.